Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Lets Design The Future!
(I like to think small).

Good morning world! As a fine example of adult ADD in action, I've been procrastinating on this blog thing. If my 79 year old mother can actually follow through and post something to the Internet.... then so can I and its past time to get started....

I just picked up the book Designerly Ways of Knowning recently and it has me thinking about an old topic: Our collective environmental future. I firmly believe that preconditions are critical to post conditions (what a surprise!), or in other words, environment conditions set the stage for our future. I also believe in free will and striving to be better than our nature (hence the morning on line ramble). The truly amazing and unique history of the United States owes a lot of its destiny thus far to a wide open, under populated, "virgin" landscape, scraped free of pesky stone age savages. Well the good old days of Indian massacres are fading fast, with more people and fewer resources per person to go around, so it is past time to start thinking hard about what we want the United State of Tomorrow to look like.

Design processes are solution focused. Scientific processes are problem focused. To consciously create a world of Tomorrow (instead of just letting it wash over us), will require answers to both questions..... what do we want the world to look like (the answer), and how do we twist the model problem space (our environment) to deliver that answer.

So people.... what is the answer? what is the question?

No comments:

Post a Comment